Wednesday, October 31, 2012

7 months later...

"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." [psalm30:2]

Well, I knew that once I started to get busier with life I would forget about this thing and keeping people updated (especially for those of you who don't have facebook). I apologize and will try to do a better job of doing blog posts (even if some of them are simple and crazy).

So folks, it is officially over. [cue the angels in heaven singing praise]

On October 15th I had my last PET scan. It was a very long day due to the actual PET scan procedure lasting 2 hours. After about 16 hours of not eating anything (I couldn't eat anything after midnight the night before) let me tell you, I have never been more happy to see food and eat food in my whole life. I am pretty sure I scarfed down my delicious Cracker Barrel lunch in 15 minutes.

Last week (October 22nd), we had a meeting with my doctor who told us that I am now in "complete remission." All my vitals were good, my blood counts are getting super high, and my weight... well, let's just say that I have become one of those women who celebrate gaining weight. My next doctors visit is 3 months from now - January 25th. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to not be going to Hopkins every. single. day.

Since then, I seriously have not been able to stop eating, or thinking about food. I've turned in to one of those people who sees a food commercial on tv and immediately starts to crave it. I am and advertisers best friend. Every few hours my stomach starts to tell my brain that it is hungry again. And after eating a good portion of food I am still hungry for more. I have become a bottomless pit that just keeps eating. Seriously, I don't know who I am anymore. I swear that come January I will weigh 250 pounds, be in a wheelchair, and my doctor will ask me what is wrong with me. I will proudly tell her that there is nothing wrong but I just couldn't stop eating and need a new diet plan.

So now what? Well, I have been still regaining energy to do things, but I have tried to keep myself busy. I have finally reorganized my room for the most part (yeah, I mean it only took 7 months...), I have gone back part time to work with my awesome cousins, in the spring I will be going back to school and taking classes which I am super excited about (yes I am weird and actually enjoy school), I have been volunteering in different ministries at my church, and I have taken (and will continue to take) several weekend trips in celebration of my end of treatments. Honestly, you can never celebrate enough. My theory is that since I was in treatment for 6 months I should celebrate for 6 months. And then by that time comes around it will be a year since I had treatment and I'll have to start the celebrations all over again. I mean, c'mon. For all that I've been through it only seems fair, right?

God has been so good. I can't begin to describe my gratefulness for His love to me and my family, and the grace and mercy He has given us each day as we have walked through this trial. Even though it hasn't always been easy, He has proven Himself faithful and good.

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful - for He cannot deny Himself." [2 timothy 2:13]

No comments:

Post a Comment