Thursday, September 27, 2012

Dear Mr. Hodgkins (part 2)


Let us continue with more learned experiences from this past 6 months.

4. Set fun goals for yourself

During the many times of not feeling well I had a lot of time to plan and think (which may or may not be a good thing if you know me well). I would get on my computer and plan out my life and what I wanted to do. When I felt good I would look at different colleges and degrees to pursue and what I wanted to do for my Masters, which then led me to a particular city (most likely in Virginia...in the south), which then led to consistent house hunting and the urgent desire to pack up and move. Obviously moving wasn’t an option, so I set other goals for myself.

Educate yourself - Knowing that I was not going to attend school this fall semester, but not wanting to completely become academically illiterate, I wanted to purchase a college book on education to keep those school brain cells active. It was a book on Reading and Language Development which is what I hope to pursue after my Bachelors. I purchased the book probably back in the middle of May...just started reading it about a week and a half ago. Sometimes when you have no mental capacity your motivation level goes negative.

Cook! - Okay, well maybe have dreams of cooking. The week immediately following treatment I pretty much had no appetite at all and could barely eat anything. The thought of food was sickening and I didn’t want to have any part of it. On the flip side of that, during the “non-treatment weeks” I would slowly start to gain an appetite and couldn’t stop thinking of or eating food. Which led to all sorts of cravings - Chipotle, Sakura, Chinese, Pizza, Olive Garden, Smoothie King.

best brother award goes to the one who surprises me with Smoothie King

homemade chips and guac. always wonderfully delicious

Olive Garden - Salad, Breadsticks, Chicken Alfredo Pizza








































































A healthy tummy, is a happy tummy. So I decided to find recipes and start a cookbook to eventually take with me when I get my own apartment and become responsible. Although I have tried to find recipes of nutrients I have discovered that two-thirds of my cookbook contains dessert recipes. Well, stressed spelled backwards is desserts...we were definitely going through a stressful time... point proven.

Organize - I like to have many dreams and aspirations in life, but sometimes lack the motivation to actually accomplish those things. Such things as your room. Ha! With lack of energy, not feeling well and mostly sleeping in the basement (because it was much cooler than my room in the summer), after my dear father brought everything from my dorm home it sat many lonely hours in my room, nothing unpacked, collecting dust. Slowly as I gained energy I would try and do a little each day. There is still a lot of non-dorm stuff to go through and organize, but we have come a long ways...

5. There is always, ALWAYS an excuse for ice cream

























Remember those random cravings? Yeah, most of them included eating ice cream, drinking milkshakes, etc. multiple times a day and consecutively throughout the week. And there is nothing better than having an ice cream party with friends. 

There are also those unnamed people who will go out of the way to bless you with ice cream. They really do have good intentions. Really, they do. Or at least try to...

Dad: You have done such a great job this week. You are my inspiration. I think you deserve some ice cream
Me: So basically what you’re saying is, “I am using you as an excuse to go get ice cream from safeway.”
Dad: So is Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip okay?

Dad: Hey girl, how are you feeling?
Me: Well, I tried to eat something...but I kinda just got sick so I’m resting.
Dad: Oh okay, I’m sorry. So I’m going to the grocery store, do you want any ice cream?
Me: Um, I just got sick...

And just when you start craving ice cream again and go to the freezer, you find this:

























6. Long days at Hopkins = accessorizing with friends

As many hospital visits go, basically you wait. a LOT. Your labs could be at 8am but you would have to wait hours for the results to be processed to see where your counts were. Then wait until there was space available in the station to receive treatment. Then wait for the drugs to be made. Then wait for treatment to be over. Most visits turned out to be much longer than expected. But as the weeks went on we kind of got use to them. Especially when you are “accessorized” during the day and make wearing masks fun.



7. Always seek to have fun

No commentary necessary for this. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words...and I have 4 :)


daydreaming at the mall...


inventing ways to stay cool when it is over 100 degrees outside and you can't get in the water...


just a normal Sunday afternoon hanging out with friends.


“The goodness of God is maintained by relating each event to an intended good by placing it within the context of His own design, to be revealed at the end of time.” _melvin.tinker

(to be continued...)





No comments:

Post a Comment