Thursday, October 31, 2013

1 year || Giving Back

"Jesus I sing for,
All that you've done for me."
[jeremy.riddle]


A Mouse told his mother and father that he was going on a trip to the seashore.
"We are very alarmed!" they cried. "The world is full of terrors. You must not go!"
"I have made my decision," said the Mouse firmly. "I have never seen the ocean, and it is high time that I did. Nothing can make me change my mind."
"Then we cannot stop you," said Mother and Father Mouse, "but do be careful!"
The next day, in the first light of dawn, the Mouse began his journey. Even before the morning had ended, the Mouse came to know trouble and fear.
A Cat jumped out from behind a tree.
"I will eat you for lunch," he said.
It was a narrow escape for the Mouse. He ran for his life, but he left a part of his tail in the mouth of the Cat.
By the afternoon the Mouse slowly climbed the last hill and saw the seashore spreading out before him. He watched the waves rolling onto the beach, one after another. All the colors of the sunset filled the sky.
"How beautiful!" cried the Mouse. "I with that Mother and Father were here to see this with me."
The moon and the stars began to appear over the ocean. The Mouse sat silently on the top of the hill. He was overwhelmed by a feeling of deep peace and contentment. [Fables, Arnold Lobel]

One year of:

  • A journey I thought I couldn't handle.
  • Sickness I thought I wouldn't get through
  • Trusting, hoping, and praying for a miracle
  • Complete remission


I could tell you all about how this past year was one of the hardest years of my life. But I could also tell you that in this past year I have been completely healed and what I am doing to give back to the community.

Autism is a "neurological disorder that impairs and individual's ability to communicate, form relationships with others, and relate to their surroundings" (autismspeaks.org). Autism now affects 1 in 88 children, and 1 in 54 boys. It is the fastest growing serious developmental disability in the United States and more children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes, and cancer combined. And unfortunately, there is no medical detection or cure for autism.

So, why am I sharing this with you? I have the privilege to be apart of the Council for Exceptional Children, Towson USG chapter. On Saturday, students from the Towson program are going down to Washington DC to walk for Autism Speaks.

I am typically not that person who asks for donations from people, but as a group we are trying to raise money that will benefit Autism Speaks for future research. Check out the Autism Speaks website to see why this is such an important issue, and consider donating to our effort of promoting autism awareness. Even if it is one dollar, every little bit counts in the long run.



All the miles of a hard road are worth a moment of true happiness.
That is why I am choosing to walk for Autism Speaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment